This is a quick easy vanilla slice made with Arnott's SAO biscuits instead of pastry.
1 Packet of Sao biscuits
1 Litre milk
¾ cup sugar
30 g butter
½ cup cornflour
4 heaped tablespoons custard powder
1 dessertspoon of vanilla
· Place a layer of Sao biscuits into base of a square tin
· Place milk, sugar, butter in saucepan
· Blend cornflour and custard power with the milk until dissolved then add to saucepan
· Bring to boil stirring until smooth & thick
· Remove from heat
· Beat in egg and vanilla
· While custard is still hot pour over bottom layer of biscuits
then top custard with a second layer of sao biscuits pressing each biscuit into custard.
· Refrigerate until cool
· Then ice with favourite icing.
We like it with passionfruit icing ( 1 cup icing sugar & 2-3 passionfruits)
if passionfruits aren't available,
pink icing with coconut is also nice.
· Refrigerate again until icing set then cut into squares