amazon

Saturday 1 October 2011

Vintage Valentine Quilt

As  I  work my way through the blocks of this quilt,
 I am thinking there is an easier way to do this !!!!
the flower petals are driving me nuts they are so fiddley.
I think I bought something a few years ago at a fair that makes this easier…… 

(I am always buying some gadget at these fairs)

so off searching
I go through the drawers, cupboards..
mmmm  its a brown thingy I'm looking for….
yep found it..
an
Applique Mat

DSC_3072
Now I  can remember being very impressed when I first seen this,
but instructions on the back of it are very basic.
So lets give it a go with the next block.
this will tested it out with all those little flower petals…..
Fabrics selected
DSC_3064

block  instructions
DSC_3062
1.  Flip the pattern  over & trace  the other side of the pattern with a dark marking pen,  ready to trace out shapes onto the applique fusing
DSC_3063
2.  Select one fabric, then trace all the pieces that are using that fabric, onto the fusing webbing. E.g all the pieces using the  green check fabric.
Continue doing that for each fabric piece until all pieces have been traced onto the fusible webbing.
DSC_3066
3. Iron fusible pieces onto the back of each fabric they correspond to.
DSC_3069

All pieces fused ;-Smile
DSC_3070
I also mark the pattern shapes with its number and with a line on the side that will be underneath another piece of fabric on the block.
4. Trim around each piece  leaving  a narrow seam allowance that will slip under the connecting piece.
DSC_3078
At this stage the paper backing is still attached to the pattern piece.
Next: I would then normally transfer the pattern to the fabric block  using a marker or lead pencil
 but
 using the applique mat there is no need to …( this saves time)
Examining the block, there are several components that make this block complete;
 several flower shapes as well as the hearts.
Create each flower separately  before putting them all together.
5. Select one flower component , find all the fabric pieces needed to make that flower.
DSC_3077
I place the pattern right side up underneath the applique matt.
( you can see through the applique mat)
DSC_3075
  then cut each piece out checking shape against  pattern and adjusting if necessary.
I use  my handing Clover Iron to iron the pieces into place.
DSC_3084

To get pieces in correct order, the pattern has the sequence of numbers on each piece to tell you which piece to start with 
(always start with lowest number & build flower up finishing at highest number)

This step doesn't change whether you are hand appliqueing  or machine appliqueing.
6. Peel the paper off each  fabric piece  & in sequential order,  iron fabric down directly onto the applique matt,
with the fusible webbing going directly onto the mat
 &
 aligning each piece up with the pattern underneath.
DSC_3087
now what makes this mat brilliant is:
  it doesn't melt
&
fusible webbing doesn't stick to it.
When it cools down
 the fabric peels off leaving the webbing intact
ready to fuse to your final fabric base.
The fusing only sticks to other fabric edges.
It is just brilliant.
Why haven't I used this before…
I forgot I had it!!!!!!!!
When the flower is created  & cooled  peel it off the mat
 
DSC_3088


DSC_3089
put aside and continue making all the components of the block in the same way.
DSC_3090DSC_3092
DSC_3093DSC_3096
DSC_3097
DSC_3099
then put the components together
DSC_3100
Now ready to go on the block.
DSC_3101
Completed fused block…. ready for machine blanket stitching.

Blocks done so far
DSC_3102a
8 blocks to go plus centre block
I  think I might fuse them all  down before stitching anymore…..
just so I can use that applique mat again.
Smile
So my review of the applique mat,
if you do fusible applique
&
you don't have one ,
go get one..
it is brilliant.
Kim

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim,
    I've had this pattern for a few years and just took it out to start it. Your explanations make me think I just might be able to do this. I am going to a quilt show in a couple of weeks and will look for that applique mat. I do not have one. Thank you for your clear explanations...it was very informative.

    ReplyDelete